Saturday, January 19, 2008

That's one Heck of an Owner's Manual!

It seems that Baby books become an important part of expecting a child. CG has already built an impressive collection of books relating to not only her pregnancy, but also to child rearing. I am ashamed to say that aside from a few cursory glances over CG's shoulder, I have yet to dig into any of them. If I were married to any other woman, I know that by now I would have been subjected to a discussion (read Tongue-Lashing) about how my lack of interest in the books really constitutes a lack of commitment from me. For her part, CG knows that my commitment should never be in question (who's the one that started the Baby Blog after all!). Instead, she chooses to educate me on the more important facts she has picked up. I call it the “In the Car and Kitchen Child Rearing Lecture series”.

The most invaluable tome that Heather has picked up so far is called “What to Expect when You're Expecting”. I've looked at some of the pictures to compare Belly sizes and that kind of thing, and from what CG tells me, this is a very helpful resource. But, at 624 pages, so far has scared me off. And besides, Its not called “What to expect when I'm Expecting”!! (To any of the ladies out there, that WAS just a joke!)

What scared me the other day was while we were in a bookstore, I happened upon a book called “What to Expect the First Year”. This book weighs in at a whopping 832 pages and 1.1 KG!! Now, these two standard resources make a total of 1456 pages! No one told me that the owner's manual that covers JUST the first year and nine months was going to be that big! Why, that's even bigger than the repair manual for a Honda!! That averages out to 2.3 pages PER DAY of the the 1 year and nine month old! I've got my work cut out for me once the Mango gets here!!

No comments: